DRUNKEN CHORUS: Trustee Roles
Drunken Chorus are seeking talented, experienced and passionate new trustees to join our current board.
Drunken Chorus is a London-based theatre company and registered charity, established in 2007, led by joint Artistic Directors Chris Williams and Sheena Holliday. The company creates high quality cultural experiences for audiences and participants; supports young and emerging artists to create new work; and promotes access and equality within the arts, particularly for people with disabilities. Currently, we do this through the following strands of work:
- A Bit Of A Do: Our flagship annual festival of theatre, dance and cabaret, featuring work by disabled and non-disabled artists and companies;
- Artist Support: Our programme of financial, in-kind and mentoring support for emerging artists and companies, often focusing on work by d/Deaf, visually impaired and/or disabled artists;
- DISCO DISCO: Our creative programme of activities for adults with mild to moderate learning disabilities, including weekly workshops, summer projects and opportunities to perform at festivals and events across London;
- Productions: The creation and touring of accessible performances to local audiences.
Our projects take place mainly in London, and our annual festival takes place in the London Borough of Croydon. We also create performances, events and projects elsewhere in the UK, and occasionally overseas.
It is an exciting time of growth and change for the charity. Over the next two years we will:
- Expand our annual festival of performance in South London (A Bit Of A Do) into a three week event, working with organisations such as Unlimited, Improbable, Stanley Halls and Croydon’s THRIVE Network;
- Expand our DISCO DISCO programme (theatre sessions for adults with learning disabilities, and those on the autism spectrum), introducing two new groups in London, including one for young people, as well as one new group in the North of England;
- Significantly diversify our income streams: secure a major new multi-year grant from 2022; develop individual giving and local sponsorship; and increase revenue from trusts and foundations;
- Develop our current relationships with existing funders, including Arts Council England, Croydon Council and Didymus;
- We will also create new experimental performance-based works, led by Drunken Chorus Co-Directors; and continue to expand our work with d/Deaf and visually impaired artists and audiences.
We are looking for new trustees to help guide the charity to achieve its vision over the next two years and beyond. We are particularly interested in potential trustees with the following skills and experience:
Fundraising: Trusts and foundations, individual giving, sponsorship, major donors
Marketing & PR: Press, marketing strategy
Finance: Experience of audits, management accounts
Disability Arts: We’d like to hear from disabled artists / professionals
Legal: Charity law, contracting
We are also particularly keen to hear from BAME, disabled and d/Deaf applicants (interpreter available).
To apply: Please send your CV and a short expression of interest to Chris Williams – firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’d like to discuss the trustee role with us before submitting an expression of interest, please also email Chris on the above email address.
Successful applicants will be invited to meet the current trustees and observe a board meeting in April.
Closing date: Monday 16 March 2020, 9am
Drunken Chorus is supported by Didymus and Souter Charitable Trust